Attaching the BlueBox to rotating machinery

Today the SHL managed to get a hold of an old and broken record player.

After disassembling the record player we discovered that the fault was a deteriorated elastic belt. We made do with what was available and replaced the belt with a piece of string. Whilst the record player was open we also replaced the wires running to the 12V DC motor with wires leading to a DC power supply unit. This allowed us to control the spin of the record player by varying the supplied voltage – the record player no longer just runs at either 33 or 45 revolutions per minute. We were then able to place a couple of BlueBoxes on the record player and get live data measuring the acceleration caused by the rotation of the disc bed.

Leave a Reply