Connecting to an Access Database using PHP

So recently I started using Microsoft (MS) Access which is the Database Management System (DBMS) in the MS Office Suite. While it presented a very interactive and pleasant graphical user interface (GUI), I started running into problems when I wanted to access the data online. While it was straightforward enough to do so with SharePoint, my team and I didn’t want to go down that road as we wanted the database to integrate well with other parts of web development and not be constrained to Sharepoint. That’s when a colleague of mine, Joanna Sirkoska landed upon ADOdb which allowed us to use PHP to connect to an Access Database.

In this post, I’ll briefly go through how you can connect to your chosen Access database and display the information within it using queries. The script to do so is quite straightforward and you can find it at this link. With this script you’ll either need to modify it to use your database or use the same database that I did which I have provided here.


I’ll run through some of the code here which should hopefully make things clearer if the comments in the script are not clear enough.


First of all you need to make sure you have the following line before trying anything else:


To do so, check out the ADOdb link at the start and download the package. Then decide where you want to put it and make sure you change the line to reflect your path choice.


Then we need to connect to the chosen database:

$conn = new COM(“ADODB.Connection”) or die(“Cannot start ADO”);

$connStr = “Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};Dbq=C:\Apache24\htdocs\DataCodes.accdb”;


The first line creates an instance of the ADO connection object. You’ll need to edit the second line to match the database you choose to use. Finally the last line opens a connection to this database.


Next we have to execute a query:

$query = “SELECT * FROM tblEquipClass”;

$rs= $conn->execute($query);

I’ve chosen a fairly simple query which which get all the information contained within the table ‘tblEquipClass’. Then I execute the query storing the results within the variable $rs.

An easy way to view the information contained within $rs is printing out the information within it:

while (!$rs->EOF) {
print $rs->fields[2].'<BR>’;

This while loop allows you to iterate through each line of data from the table. We then print only information from the third column out.

Finally we can close the connections made previously but that is optional.

There you have it! Now you can design your tables using the nice GUI MS Access provides but allow greater connection to your database using PHP. Leave a comment if you found this useful or have any queries.

Speeding Up I2C Communication

So recently we were doing some data collection with an Arduino mega and an accelerometer, specifically the ADXL345. Now the datasheet on the ADXL345 stated that the maximum sampling frequency is 3200 Hz but we found that our data points we only coming through at about 900 Hz. After some digging around the web, we found a potential cause.

Although the Arduino should be able to handle up to 400 kHz I2C communication, it is by default limited to 100 kHz in a particular library header file. Now 100 kHZ should be more than enough to sample a device which is supposed to be capable of 3200 Hz sampling but it’s not as straightforward as that. We think that although 100 kHz is the I2C bus speed, there is still going to be some time initiating communication. Depending on the library you choose to use. there could be several back and forths between the Arduino and the ADXL345 before any data is actually exchanged.

We found however that by making the change to 400 kHz, we were able to obtain data at 2600 Hz which while not maxed out, is still a significant improvement! Perhaps the remainder is due to the aforementioned communication overhead. Here’s what we did to obtain the increased bus speed as laid out at this link.


Locate the twi.h header file at this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire\utility.

Now instead of just telling you the full path, I’ll provide a picture as well so you can confirm you’ve found the correct file (note the path in the top right corner). I2C Pre Change

Once you’ve located the file, note the highlighted section. This is the default value provided when you download the Arduino software. Change the 100000L to 400000L. It’s a simple as the picture below!

I2C Post Change


And that’s pretty much it!

You’ll need to let Arduino recreate the associated object files but this is simply a matter of restarting the Arduino IDE. You should notice an increase in your I2C communication! Mind you that you’ll have to be talking to a device capable of making use of this increased speed (like we had with the ADXL345).

I won’t claim to know all the maths behind this so if you know more, please share your knowledge with us in the comments section! Alternatively if you found this a useful link, leave that in the comments too!


Ashwin D’Cruz

Research Assistant

System Health Lab, UWA